About Me

ABOUT ME

Although I have never pursued a formal career in herpetology I have always collected and extensively studied the critters all my life, starting at the age of four. Never though did I keep them as inventory stock for sale or as captives. I simply collected, observed then released them.

I was told once by a dear family member that I am no writer.

For some reason that comment didn't put the holster on my need to write.

On topics of interests, I feel we're all compelled to convey whether we're versed in oratory and writing skills or not. Getting the point across is tantamount to most of us. Further through correspondence, I would like to not only aid  people in becoming more conscious and aware of nature, but too, understand the impact we humans have in and on this wonderful planet. It is a true stewardship of responsibility.

Me holding a rock python I found dead when working in Nigeria.
In having a bachelors from the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA) majoring in geology with a minor in natural history, I have a career consulting in seismic geophysics and in environmentally compliant chemical coating formulations. I tell ya what, a lot of technical conveyance and verbiage has to be produced. Other than these mundane technical writings, reaching out with compassionate interpretation to people about nature, the physical world, animals and especially herpetology...gives credence to my core values.

I only have strong interests and a pure passion for these animals studied under herpetology and want to further understand their world in relation to my world. If you are similar in thought and these subjects drive you, I would like to hear from you.
Me with Python sebae in Sudan.


Please do holler here to pronounce your knowledge, or later go back to the homepage and click on the shared stories button. Give voice to your opinions and experiences of snakes, lizards, frogs, toads, salamanders, etc...

I will do my utmost best in responding timely to questions and stories.


Texas Bullsnake I kept as a pet in my apartment in Texas.













Caught my first Jesus lizard in Belize

Now for the shocking revelation: I have a wife whom I love and adore. She is the best of mother bears when it comes to our children's welfare...

...but the woman is absolutely a concrete walled road block when it comes to having animals in or around the house.

Even an usual pet, such as a dog or cat is a no-no to her, much less my fancies to have a snake or two to hang around the environs. She is insistent on her feelings that no other animal under any circumstance is to have its DNA molecules intermingling with her family's under one rooftop.

So, for all you Herpers out there that have a more forgiving spouse...live dang it all, live...

And go head-on, don't be shy. Ask a question, share your story and/or leave a comment in the comment sections.

Regards,
BJA

8 comments:

  1. Great web site. All this information on one site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Daddy! I like your pictures! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank ya ever so much my little darling, six year old daughter, Paige...
      Loves Eternal,
      Poppa

      Delete
  3. BJ, I think I would take the mother bear stance as well where snakes are concerned. Honestly, the give me the creeps. I thank God I don't live in area where we see snacks much. I've never seen one up close and personal. Thank God! Love V's depiction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, not to fret much about your fear of snakes for you're not alone. The vast majority of people from anywhere (where snakes are prevalent and where they aren't) have an innate fear of snakes. It appears that somewhere down the line humans and snakes had a bad experience together. In fact it's not just humans, but all primates as well. Even an object shaped as a snake, such as a rope is dangled in front of a monkey, it will cringe in fear.

    A little two-yr-old will go up to see what a spider is doing crawling across the floor. That same little one will stick her finger into a candle's flickering flame until she learns by getting burned or mamma comes up and says, "No-no-no Honey!" But once that two-yr-old sees a snake for the first time... she cringes. The fear is just in us.

    Fortunately or unfortunately, I've never felt that same fear of snakes from the very outset of when I first encountered the legless wonders. I have though, learned a long time ago not to spook someone who possesses that fear of snakes.

    Snakes though (my opinion) should not be feared, but cordially respected. My children of course have had very early introductions to them and my baby Paige, got her first bite from a harmless little corn snake on the leg when she was 1-1/2. She thought that it was kissing her, bless her little heart.

    Even though we live in an area where there are no poisonous snakes, my children know first to get Daddy before ever attempting to pick one up. They love touching the snake once I have it secured in my hands and then hold it themselves...believe it or not, even mother bear V does too.

    I sincerely appreciate much your comment Diane, and hope that your snake & frog experiences are more memorable and enjoyable than not.

    We all(Life)have our interwoven place and right to be...

    Regards,
    BJA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many herp cartoons available for publication.

    Jack Corbett

    corbett9011@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete